Thursday, February 25, 2010

And by the way, you'll have to buy your own paperclips


So I got on Facebook today, and I found a post from one of my former students. I've omitted her name as I don't have permission to post this here, but reading it made me angry (all over again) about the lack of commitment to education Kansas' elected officials have shown in recent months. Here it is:

is off to spend a bajillion dollars on things like glue and paper for the kiddos. Really sad. It makes me not want to also spend the money so they can make chocolate crisp bars tomorrow or the money to buy the things I need for Oobleck and an art project but I guess that's the way it goes. Oh teacher friends....Office ...Depot is having a buy 2 get one 1 free sale on things like paper clips, paper, manilla folders, etc.

It breaks my heart to see a new teacher (in her first semester of teaching) coming to the realization that today in Kansas if your students need materials (which many of them cannot possibly afford to buy themselves) you'd better be ready to head out to Wal-mart or Staples and open your wallet. Why ask every Kansan to pay an extra penny of sales tax when teachers will shoulder the burden left behind by lawmakers too spineless to invest public education? How many years can young, bright, energetic people be expected to stay in an occupation that values them so little as to ask them to buy their own paperclips?

No comments:

Post a Comment